Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Time to Pause

The kids are back in school and I am given the freedom (when not working at my real job) to sit in front of a blank screen and create. And sit.....and sit...and....sit. *sigh*

Wouldn't it be great if we could turn our creativity on and off like our kitchen taps filling up an empty glass. Empty glass, time for a drink, turn on tap, fill with water and drink. Ahhhhhh. Empty house, uninterrupted time to write, turn on creative juices, flowing freely, fill page after page and 2-3 chapters written. Ahhhhhhh.

But, no. Here I am with a fresh cup of coffee sitting by the keyboard or laptop at 9:00am, kids at school until 3:30pm, cell phone on vibrate and an unknown number of chapters left to write on my novel in progress. Nothing. So, what do I do.

What I used to do was "take a break" and read other's work "for just a few minutes", do a household chore hoping creative lightning would strike somewhere between the rinse and spin cycle or play (blushes guiltily) computer games.

But then, I just started to write anything....whether it was good or not, typos and all, just nonsensical rambling. After all, this is the computer age and we have "delete" and "cut". And you know what, nothing happened at first - the first couple of times I did this (slow learner, I guess). But then, it did! I'd be typing along and "well, whaddya know, I think this is going somewhere. Because for me it's the getting started that's the hard part. Once I start, I can't shut up!

Give it a try, when you're blocked and let me know what happens. Who knows, there could be a story in that somewhere

~Karen

3 comments:

James McShane said...

Hey Karen. Yup, I still haven't gone to bed yet. I knew there was something I had to do, and that was check out your blog. I know the feeling of just writing until you get somewhere. That's how I do all my writing.Good to see you have a blog going. I can keep tabs on the innermost workings of your rather excellent brain. Even if I occasionally get a bit mixed up myself. Keep the faith.

James.

James McShane said...

There. I've changed my user name. I really should be getting to bed. Chat you later.

James

Jen said...

I just signed up for WEbook tonight and found your blog whilst poking around over there. Was sitting here thinking about how to start my next story, wondering whether to just start writing or wait until I have a better idea about what to say. Think I am going to take your advice here, and also be like James and just write until I get somewhere!